VARIETY - BLOGStuffed Picnic Loaf - 29/06/2017
The great outdoors beckons and hopefully we’ll be flocking to the beach or going for days out...why not get organised and pack a picnic...it’s much cheaper and more fun! The recipe below is really easy and quick and you prepare it the night before so on the day, just take it out of the fridge and off you go!
Preparation - 15 minutes plus 8 hours chilling time
- 1 large round crusty loaf of bread
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 12 slices of salami
- 150g (5oz) cheddar cheese, sliced
- 12 slices of ham
- 50g (1¾oz) rocket leaves, trimmed
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 20 basil leaves
- Start by preparing the bread the night before the picnic. Slice off the top of the loaf and put to one side. Remove* all the soft bread filling from the inside of the loaf, leaving the crust to form a case. Brush the inside of the bread with a little olive oil.
- Layer the loaf with your chosen fillings, pressing well on each layer and seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper as you go along.
- When the bread case is full, drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and replace the lid. Press the lid firmly in place and wrap the loaf in a couple of layers of clingfilm. Place in the fridge with a weight or heavy breadboard on top to chill overnight.
- Transport to the picnic wrapped in the clingfilm. To serve, unwrap and cut the loaf into wedges with a sharp knife.
*why not make breadcrumbs from the bread you remove and freeze... they’re really useful for stuffings and toppings