VARIETY - BLOGJanuary Recipe... Variety Ice Cream - 24/12/2015
The gorgeous promenade in Portstewart in Northern Ireland for January is famous for its ice cream parlours so we thought this might make a refreshing change from all the cake and pudding we’ve been eating!
- 4 eggs, separated
- 100g/3½oz caster sugar
- 300ml/½pint double cream
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed.
- Slowly whisk in the caster sugar, then continue to whisk until the egg whites are stiff and glossy.
- Whisk the cream in a separate bowl until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed.
- Fold the cream, egg yolks and your chosen flavouring (see below) into the meringue mixture until well combined.
- Pour into a plastic container and freeze for at least two hours
Vanilla flavour – 1 teaspoon vanilla extract/essence
Ginger flavour - 100g/3½oz stem ginger, chopped, plus 4 tbsp syrup from the jar
Coffee and brandy flavour – 2-3 tablespoons coffee essence or 2-3 tablespoons brandy
Raspberry or Strawberry flavour – 150ml/5fl oz sieved rasperry or strawberry purée
Rum and raisin flavour - 100g/3½oz raisins soaked in 4 tbsp rum for 2 hours
OR... if you have any leftover chocolate/chocolates, chop these in to taste...or for a delicious alternative, try chopping 3 or 4 Dime or fudge bars into the mixture