VARIETY - BLOGCrab and Sweetcorn Chowder - 25/02/2016
Norfolk is home to the famous Cromer Crab which is an amazing addition to a variety of dishes. Our recipe this month is for a delicious, healthy and easy to make Crab and Sweetcorn Chowder and is really a meal in itself...don’t worry if you don’t fancy shelling a crab, this recipe uses tinned!
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, green and white parts separated and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 850ml-1 litre (1½ pints - 1¾ pints) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 large potato, diced
- 175g (6oz) frozen sweetcorn
- 170g tin white crabmeat, drained
- 4 tablespoons light crème fraîche
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- Put the onion, white part of the leek and carrots in a large pan and add a few tablespoons of the stock. Cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly until soft. Add a splash more stock if the vegetables start to stick.
- Add the potato, green leek and most of the stock, and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the potato is tender. Tip in the sweetcorn and crab meat, then cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the crème fraîche and some seasoning. Add the rest of the stock if the soup is too thick.
- Sprinkle with the chives and serve with brown bread.