VARIETY - BLOGApple and pear crumble with ginger and chocolate - 30/05/2016
This is a classic warm dessert bursting with sweet fruit and finished with a crunchy topping. Serve with ice cream, custard or double cream
- Ready in 40 minutes
- Cooking time 30 minutes
- Prep time 10 minutes
- Serves 6
- 4 apples and 4 pears, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 1.5cm piece fresh root ginger, finely grated
- 100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 50g Scottish porridge oats
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, diced
- 75g plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4
- Place the apples, pears and ginger in a small pan. Cover and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Place the mixture in a large, shallow ovenproof dish and top with 75g of the chocolate.
- For the crumble topping, mix the oats, caster sugar, butter, flour and vanilla extract together, rubbing the butter between your fingertips until the mixture has a crumbly texture – or you can use a food processor.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping over the mixture and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Melt the remaining chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Once melted, drizzle over the crumble and serve.