VARIETY - BLOGHOT CROSS BUN AND BUTTER LEMON PUDDING - 30/03/2017
- Knob of butter, for greasing the dish
- 4 stale hot cross buns
- 200g lemon curd
- 2 large eggs
- 200ml double cream
- 200ml milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- zest of a small lemon
- cream or vanilla ice cream, to serve (optional)
- Butter a 1-litre baking dish that will quite snugly fit the buns. Cut each bun into 3 slices, and sandwich back together with a generous spreading of the lemon curd (use about half the curd). Arrange the buns in the dish
- Whisk the eggs, cream, milk and remaining curd, then sieve into a jug. Add the vanilla and 3 tablespoons of the sugar. Pour over the buns and stand at room temperature for 30 minutes for the custard to soak in.
- Heat oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Scatter the remaining sugar and lemon zest over the pudding. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is golden and the custard gently set. Stand for 5 minutes, then serve with cream or vanilla ice cream if you like.